Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wedgies in Literature?
The other day, I started reading a book called Boy A, by Jonathan Trigell. As I was reading, I was pleasantly surprised to come upon the aftermath a wedgie on the written page, although it took me some time to realize a wedgie is what it was I was reading about due to my unfamiliarity with some British terms. 

Anyway, here's the passage (in chapter 2 of the book, so there might be more down the road):

"Once A had walked home with one shoe. Ripped junior Y-fronts stuffed into the pocket of the trousers that he'd managed to rescue. His other shoe was still thickly lodged in a tree; impervious to sticks and stones and names and all the other things that A felt so deeply. He trudged with a sock sodden from the pavement, and a lopsided swaying like the plastic boy on the Barnados boxes would walk, his legs imprisoned in torturous iron callipers."

And a few paragraphs later:

"His dad held the ladder steady, as in a half-hearted suicide pact. And A worried, more even than death, that his father would see the ripped pants still bulging in his trouser pocket."

The book was made into a movie starring Andrew Garfield years ago, though I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on the presence of wedgies in it. 

Anyway, this got me wondering. Are there any other books out there that feature wedgies? I remember coming upon one years ago, in the novel Black Swan Green, by David Mitchell. 
I remember it was not referred to as a wedgie, but with some British synonym for it (snuggie perhaps?). I own a copy, so I might find it later to post it. 

I'd love to hear more examples.

Messages In This Thread
Wedgies in Literature? - by WedgieBoxers - 03-30-2024, 03:16 PM
RE: Wedgies in Literature? - by Red X - 03-31-2024, 05:25 AM
RE: Wedgies in Literature? - by WedgieBoxers - 04-21-2024, 01:10 PM